You heard me. My neighbor came to my house so I could clean my fridge…
What incredibly persuasive skills did I use to entice her over to my house, you may be wondering…
- Is she my paid cleaning lady? I wish!
- Do I have a deep secret on her that she doesn’t want her husband to find out and I’m extorting her? Absolutely, not. (They are lovey and wonderful people.)
- Is she some kind of clean freak with a mission to purge the world of dirty fridges? Nope. I don’t think so.
She is a kind, generous person whom I like and trust whole heartedly. We also have a hard time finding a time of day we can get together because of life’s busy schedules. So I asked if she’d like to come over one day and visit while I cleaned my fridge. She said, yes, and I found a body double who would help me get started on a project that I had been putting off for over three months.
This underused strategy, called body double, is an excellent way to accomplish boring and mundane tasks (a real form of torture for ADDer’s) if you lack focus or getting boring tasks done. Let me tell you what it is and is not…
- It’s not someone ‘standing in’ for you getting your work done for you, that is your responsibility.
- It’s not someone telling you “how” to do your task, you can do this by yourself-it’s just painful.
- A body double is a person who will sit with you and do something else (talk, read, or work on an unrelated task) in the room while you finish the task.
Check out these hyperlinks to Additude Magazine that describe when and how to use body doubles with ADHD:
So remember the next time you are procrastinating with an item that you need to accomplish but just can’t seem to get done, remember your body double is out there…You just need to find her!